Monday, January 20, 2014

The Things That Help Me Learn Albanian


Sorry friends and family!!  This is last weeks email from Elder Clawson!  I'm a slug and a slacker and Jed has chastised me for not having it up in a timely manner.  I promise I'll keep up:)


Jan. 13, 2014
Hello Everyone!!

So this week has been pretty fun and lots of finding has been going on. Elder Eliason is slowly but surely making improvements in his language abilities and it's really cool to see him blossom into a beautiful Albanian butterfly. 

Since we kinda baptized all of the investigators that I had with my previous set of companions, we have been spending an awful lot of time out finding. And it has been really slow. The past two days have probably been the best of the week because people were actually stopping to talk to us, but they just didn't have the whole desire to learn more. We had a few potential people that I thought were feeling it but they just weren't quite super accepting of what we were saying. Kinda rough but ah well.
Jed and Elder Eliason were EXCEEDINGLY proud of these homemade nachos!!!

Last Monday night we were asked to go out to a little fshat outside of Tirana, to visit a member who needed a blessing. We got to her house from the bus station and we talked with her for a little bit and she had an old friend there that I talked to for a while. She was like 80 years old and was telling me the story of her life basically and how she had her husband and son die by the border of Greece and all kinds of other crazy stuff. I kinda wanted to switch tangents so I asked her if she was with any religion at the time and she said "Yeah I'm a Jehovah's Witness." So that was the extent of my religious conversation seeing as we have plenty of arguments with JW's in the streets. The lady we were giving the blessing to was very grateful that we had come all the way out from the center of Tirana to come and give her a blessing. She made us a meal which consisted of chicken, rice, tuna salad, juice, and my son's (His companion he is training) favorite thing ever, fshat kos. This is the kinda kos (yogurt drink) that they let go sour and it gets all clumpy and you eat it with a spoon. I just downed my bowl and my poor companion almost threw up the first bite he took. I told him if he eats the kos, drinks the dhallë, drinks the ujë me gaz, (carbonated water), and eats the cat meat, his Albanian will get better faster. After we finished eating we gave the blessing for her and really felt the Spirit. It was a nice way to start the week. 
Elder Clawson and Elder Eliason getting ready for the day.

We didn't teach a ton of lessons this week but the ones we got were really good. Evi and Samuel received the Aaronic Priesthood two weeks ago and they passed the sacrament yesterday and it just made my heart jump for joy! They are some awesine kids and I think they will be some strong members if they stick to their guns. Also, I don't know if you all remember but I had one investigator that I had to give to the sister missionaries in another branch and her name was Eli. She was an older lady but she was progressing very well and I had very high hopes for her. She is now being taught by two sisters and she is getting baptized!  And she asked me to baptize her!! I'm so excited! So that's all the good highlights of this week. 
Elder Clawson and Elder Brown saying their goodbyes.  Elder Brown LOVES being featured on
the blog and is now home:)

I hope you guys are all having a fantastic time in Sun Valley. I'm sure it'll be fantastic ripping it up on the slopes and what not. The weather here feels like September at home. I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts right now cuz it's not cold enough for pants today. It doesn't usually get too cold and there's no more snow in the mountains which kinda sucks. Maybe I'll go to Kosovo sometime next winter. I'd like that. I'm having fun and being safe and smart. My companion gets freaked out about how close I get to speeding cars when I cross the street, but I just tell him it helps me learn Albanian. 
A very typical meal.  I have lot's of pictures of this dish.  It's called a Meat Pot and Jed said it's delicious!!


Elder Clawson and Elder J. from Jed's MTC group,
I love you guys so much and I hope you all stay safe!!! Tell Emma to text Carson to let him know that I love him and I'm excited for him to come join his Nord Brothers in the field!! Kirsten said he gave a really good talk too. Love ya guys!!

Love, Jedediah the Nord Lord


Dear Mother, 
I'm glad you get to go skiing with everyone in Sun Valley. I'll miss that this year but hey, I might not even be able to afford skiing with ya when I'm home so I guess you can all get used to not having me with you!! Those Red Velvet cookies looked delicious and I would say send some to me, but I don't know if they'd survive. Well I love you Mom, have fun and tell everyone I said hi. 

Love, Jed

No comments:

Post a Comment