Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Rise Up From the Dust and Be Men


Hello Familia!! 

I had a great week!! So much happened but to be 100% honest I can't remember a whole lot of what happened. 

On top of the church in Tirana Albania
Well, we got 5 new investigators this week which was freaking awesome!! Two of them are these two guys named Arion and Besnikë (he goes by Bessie) and we met them through English Course which was fun because we haven't gotten anyone out of that yet here in Tirana. I gave a spiritual thought at the end of the english lesson and these two started asking all of these questions. I was just like "Crap they're gonna start yelling at me or something and then I'm gonna start crying or screaming." Just kidding I don't cry, but I did think they were gonna start Bible Bashing me because they said they were Orthodox. But their questions were really sincere and they came up to us after the class and asked if we could meet sometime. We met with them a few days later and they seemed super excited to learn more. Arion had downloaded the Book of Mormon onto his iPad and was already reading it basically. We'll be meeting with them a lot more definitely. 
Another good investigator that we got this week was this girl named Malvina. She is a student and doesn't have a lot of time but she's anxious to see what we have to say and what we're about. We found her street contacting which is definitely a bonus because sometimes I just think it's super kot.(Albanian word "for nothing", worthless.) 

Good looking lunch I'd say.
Some graffiti that Jed said the missionaries liken unto Jesus.  He's got their backs:)
I also had an exchange with Elder Austin from Idaho Falls. Let me tell ya, I needed that exchange. He's a super cool kid and I enjoyed being with him. We got hit on by a ton of girls that day though. We were street contacting in front of this store and the workers just turned up some music and started dancing all nasty and waving at us. We decided to go find a new spot. But we had a good time hanging together and we spent a lot of time just talking in bed the night before. Maybe one day we'll be comps but who knows. 

The countryside on the outskirts of Tirana Albania.

Downtown Tirana Albania
So yeah, I have a zone conference every month, mission conference every six months, and district meeting every week. Mission conference is on Thanksgiving next week and it's a big deal. We're having a talent show and tons of food and stuff. It should be fun. 

One really crazy thing did happen to me this week though. So about Tuesday, I was not feeling good. Emotionally, spiritually, or mentally. I wasn't physically sick but I'd been in this sad stage for a while and it kinda just started when I left Durres. I didn't wanna sound like some little woose face punk that couldn't handle being taken from his trainer, so I didn't say anything to anyone. But slowly it just got deeper and deeper and eventually I wanted to just not get up and work. I was so down on myself with the language and I was just like "Man, how can I be here and how can I do this if I feel like this?" And I was genuinely worried. Then I started reading my scriptures and the first thing I read was the words of Christ saying that he picks his servants from the midst of the furnace of their afflictions (1 Nephi 20:10 10 For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.)and something to the effect that no matter what I've done or what I do, I'm still going to be okay and I'm chosen by him to get this work done. I talked with Elder Austin about it that night too and he told me that he has those days where he just doesn't want to work so he just prays in the morning and asks for the desire to do missionary work. After the trial of his faith, he finds that he has a huge desire to get the work done. So I've been doing that and I have been so much happier. The language is still coming slowly but I've seen that people can understand me when it matters. SO, yeah my testimony of the Book of Mormon was really strengthened this weak. Another scripture that Vëllai McGlothin (Jed's teacher in the MTC) from the MTC came into my mind this week which is (2 Nephi 1:21  And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be amen, and be determined in bone mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity;)the one when Lehi was dying and he basically told Laman and Lemuel to grow up. Rise up from the dust and be men. I tried taking that one to heart this week too. 

So I hope all is well for you guys at home!! I did get the package and I love it! Thanks a ton.

Love, Jed

Dear Mother,
That Ped Egg has turned my nasty heels into sweet baby bum cheeks!! It's awesome! And I got a kick outta how you called it the Pedifile. Elder Matson was super disgusted by the fact that it was basically just a cheese grater. Thanks for the caramels too. My Pranari (Landlord) came into my house the other night and took like 5 cuz he liked them so much. I'm glad Hawaii was fun. I honestly could just live out in the country there. It's awesome. Kinda by Tex's. I love you so much and I'm so excited to talk to you in a month!! And Jane, does she really speak so fluently? Well have a good week and I love you.

Love, Jed
Jed is fascinated with the olive trees in Albania. 

P-day hike sighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment